Saturday 24 May 2014

Class 8: The Writing Process

I've always taken for granted the reading and writing process and I say for granted because I never did actually sit and ascertain all the steps necessary to make these processes possible.  Our  evening's class (May 21, 2014) just put me in touch with what it really takes to get even one thought down on paper. The process can be quite complex when you are asked to write down all the steps involved in the a simple letter writing activity even before you pick up a pen and paper. Some things you have to do are formulate the thoughts and ideas for the task, focus in order to pick up the pen or pencil, gripping the writing object properly, think about the amount of pressure you place on the object and the list goes on and on, things that seem easy and normal to us prove to be quite a huge process for people with learning disabilities.
When I thought that was hard then this task proved even more frustrating!
I will surely now have even greater patience with my students especially after we were given a picture of all the steps required for the reading and writing process, It's  simply exhausting!
This is just a few of the steps involved:


















The videos on Barb's blog page were also quite interesting as I did not know that your posture had a lot to do with your writing, and the various aids used for writing will surely prove useful for students to control and perform the task appropriately
http://writingatbwelsford.blogspot.ca/

Clicker has several apps that support developing lower level mechanical skills for students, such as clicker connect app for students with reading and writing difficulties.
Another apps that will prove useful for students development is the Dragon














The Write Out Loud app seemed quite an amazing app as it really transformed the writing of the students observed in the class videos, some of the pencil positions of the students seen are quite familiar to me as well as I have come across students who use the same positions. What I did then was to try and help my students re position their pencil not realizing then that it could have been a problem with their motor development, so this knowledge will definitely prove helpful in my classroom.










These app will be positives toward the writing output of students.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Keisha,

    Like you, I was not aware of how daunting the writing process was until we discussed it in class. Totally took it for granted! When Barb was asking us probing questions to get us thinking about the writing process....I was shocked at the steps required for our brain and body to work together just to begin the task let alone complete it to the point where a student has a draft printed. Our brains are mighty wonderful, complex machines!!! Over the years in the classroom, I have had many students who were struggling writers. I REALLY felt for them! I knew they had lots to share and say....but organizing their thoughts into a logical, coherent manner and then trying to write them on paper was just too much! Seeing the tools that can help these writers today is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete